OpenCV 2.1.0 and FFMPEG compilation solution

I had been recently struggling to compile OpenCV 2.1.0 with FFMPEG support on GNU/Linux. The problem was that the OpenCV CMake script fails to detect the important component of ffmpeg it needs; like avcodec, swscale, avformat. The more idiotic thing is that if one uses ccmake, the log is not visible. It is only after building that one sees that ffmpeg support is not there. One has to use cmake. Anyways, after doing  cmake ../OpenCV-2.1.0, noted that config log said “ffmpeg 0” and also put zeros against the above mentioned components of ffmpeg. Well, I knew that ffmpeg existed in all its components. I had also made a directory called ffmpeg in /usr/local/include and made symbolic links for the respective header files. Now it was a clear case of cmake being unable to find these, either because of poor CMakeLists.txt or the cmake itself. At this point, I did not want to dig into the innards of CMake; unlike autoconf it has an annoying tendency to hide information; for example where it searches for ffmpeg and such things. Such blackbox approach suits Ubuntu users no doubt. I tried parsing through the CMakeLists.txt and could not find anything that I could rectify. However, I did know that CMakeCache.txt contained the configured values.  After that it was a matter of putting manually the include, lib paths and the linker flags in this for each of the ffmpeg components. After running cmake again,  I could immediately see that ffmpeg components were recognised and ffmpeg was turned to 1. make happily started building cvcap_ffmpeg which meant that ffmpeg was actually being used.  However, the build process croaked at 99% when trying to link to the actual libavcodec/libavformat and libswscale. Clearly, the linker links I had passed as a guess had not worked. Now, I did cmake again and passed -L/usr/local/lib and -Wl, -rpath,/usr/local/lib. Voila! the compilation was complete. I build a test program to read and write videos. All worked ok. This was a rough sketch of the compilation solution. I will post the details of the CMakeCache.txt in case someone is interested.

Update:

A more elegant solution to the problem has been given by dev in the comment to the same self-mirrored blog post at blogger.

Advertisements
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: